Waterloo Village, 525 Waterloo Road, Byram NJ
Sunday, September 21, 2014
Registration and “Rally 101” at 10:30 a.m. Rally begins at 11 a.m.
The Tour of the Highlands Road Rally is a friendly and fun rally challenging teams (a driver and a navigator) to maneuver a street-legal vehicle through a prescribed route through some of the most beautiful scenery in the New Jersey Highlands.
No experience needed! All instructions are provided and the rally is intended for novice drivers and more experienced drivers alike! Children age 9 or under can ride in the vehicle during the event. This event is organized and sanctioned by the Raritan Valley Sports Car Club Inc. and the North Jersey Sports Car Club of America.
Cost to enter is $100 per car (includes driver and navigator). Entry fee includes two weekend passes to the Highlands Festival at Waterloo for both the driver and navigator ($80 value). Register here.
- The driver must be licensed to drive the vehicle. Both proof of insurance and a valid driver’s license must be presented during rally registration.
- The navigator must be at least 9 years old. The navigator must have a writing board (clipboard). The navigator must carry a pen or pencil, and paper. The navigator will be required to record information during the event.
- An accurate timepiece is necessary in the vehicle.
- All individuals in the vehicle must wear seat belts at all times.
- The vehicle must have a current registration, inspection sticker and must be in safe condition to drive.
- A set of General Instructions (GIs) and Route Instructions (RIs) will be distributed to each team after registration and prior to the start of the rally.
- Numbers will be assigned to vehicles and provided to drivers during registration. The numbers are to be affixed to the passenger side of the rally vehicle so that it is visible to rally workers along the route of the rally. (If the vehicle has a non-steel body or if you wish to put the number on the inside of a rear window, it will have to be taped onto that surface).
- Teams are encouraged to arrive early for the registration process. This will allow the team to have ample time to review the GIs and RIs.
- The Rallymaster and Rally Volunteers (wearing badges) will be available during registration and will be happy to answer questions and give advice.
- The Route Instructions will provide teams with detailed information on the route of the rally. Teams are advised to pay very close attention to the instructions regarding turns, sights, and information about timing.
- Items used to describe turning locations will be at fixed locations.
- There will be checkpoints along the route. Checkpoints will be identified by a specific sign, a copy of which will be displayed at the start of the Rally.
- At checkpoints teams MUST be prepared to stop and exit their vehicles. Team members may be required to perform specific and fun tasks at the checkpoints.
- There will be Items of Interest along the route. Descriptions of the Items of Interest will be included in the RIs.
- Teams will be asked questions about the route and the answers to these questions must be entered by the team on the answer sheet supplied with the RIs.
- Timing – Teams will be given adequate time to complete the rally event. Plan on 3-4 hours.
- There will be a short break (30 minutes) at a specific checkpoint for gasoline, pit stop, or something quick to eat.
- Each team will be assessed penalty points for the following: Failure to complete the route within the allotted time; Failure to complete the required “task” at Checkpoints; Missing a Checkpoint.
- Values of penalty points will be listed in the GIs. At the end of the Tour of the Highlands Road Rally, your team’s score will be tallied. Prizes will be awarded to teams with the three lowest team scores.
Awards of gift certificates to restaurants, auto parts store, etc. will be given in the following classes:
Experienced – Placing 1, 2, 3
Intermediate – Placing 1, 2, 3, 4
Novice – Placing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Awards will be announced from the stage of the Highlands Festival at Waterloo before the last musical act at 4:30 p.m.
Proceeds from the Road Rally benefit the New Jersey Highlands Coalition to fund their work to protect, restore and enhance the water and other natural and cultural resources of the New Jersey Highlands for the benefit of all citizens and businesses in the State of New Jersey.