Juried Art/Photo Exhibit Info 2016
The Highlands Festival at Waterloo includes a juried display featuring art of the New Jersey Highlands. Artists are invited to submit work for this weekend-long celebration at Waterloo Village. Winning entries and a selection of runners-up will be featured in a special exhibit at the Morris Museum to be held this Fall in conjunction with the Festival. All finalists’ work will be featured on digital display during the Festival in addition to the Festival’s website and social media sites. Additional prizes will include gift certificates for framing, art supplies and outdoor equipment. Two-dimensional art and photography will be accepted for jurying as long as it features the flora, fauna, landscapes, natural or cultural resources of the New Jersey Highlands (please see guidelines below).
Initial digital entries must be received by midnight, September 1, 2016.
Upon notification, winners’ work must be delivered, ready to hang, to the Morris Museum between September 21st and September 24th, and picked up between Nov 30th and December 2nd.
If more convenient, work may also be dropped off in Morristown/Harding at Dwight Hiscano Gallery on Mt. Kemble Ave. Please contact Dwight at email@example.com to make arrangements.
By submitting images, each entrant agrees to the following rules:
- Entrants must be 18 years of age or older and must be legal residents of the United States. Employees and Trustees of New Jersey Highlands Coalition and their immediate family members are not permitted to enter.
- Initial entries must be in digital format (see How To Enter).
- Each submission must feature the flora, fauna, landscapes, natural or cultural resources of the New Jersey Highlands. (For more information about the New Jersey Highlands, click here.) Please note that, due to its proximity to, and association with the Highlands, we are also accepting work that depicts the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge. Winners and finalists selected for exhibit must deliver their work, ready to hang, to the Morris Museum between September 21st and September 24th, and picked up between Nov 30th and December 2nd. All work must be framed, wired, and ready to hang by the drop off date or it will not be accepted. All work must be wrapped, boxed or otherwise protected to enable easy transport to the exhibit (Please use a reusable cardboard box, portfolio or REUSABLE bubble wrap pouch. Please DO NOT use excessive amounts of packing tape; your packaging will be reused and handlers must be able to easily pack and unpack each piece.) All packaging will be returned with each work.
- Artists are encouraged, but not required to offer their work for sale at the Highlands Festival. If they chose to do so, proceeds will be split 70/30, with 70% of the sale price going to the artist and 30% going to the New Jersey Highlands Coalition.
- Work must be limited to 35 inches on its longest side when framed. Accepted work will include photographs (color or black and white), original paintings, drawings, and pastels. Original mixed media, wall sculpture, and carvings are accepted as long as each piece is suitable for hanging and extends no more than 4 inches from the wall when hung. We are, unfortunately unable to accept sculpture unless it can be hung.
- Photographs must not be heavily manipulated; only minor burning, dodging, contrast and color adjustments are permitted. Photographs employing heavy use of High Dynamic Range will not be accepted. Heavily manipulated photographs or portions of photographs may be accepted as “mixed media” only if another medium is employed in the same piece.
- All work must be the property of the entrant; entrant must be the copyright owner and the work must not infringe on the rights of others. Submitted work must not contain any offensive, sexually explicit, or inappropriate content.
- Work depicting any recognizable person or persons must be accompanied by a signed model release. (Please see this article for more information regarding model releases.
- Entrants will retain copyrights to their work. Entrants acknowledge, however, that by entering this competition, they grant the New Jersey Highlands Coalition, along with the organizers of the New Jersey Highlands Festival at Waterloo, the right to reproduce, distribute, and display all work submitted in any form in connection with the Festival, for promotion of the Festival, and for use by the Coalition in pursuing its mission (artist’s credit will accompany all images).
How to enter
The fee to enter is $15.00 for up to three images. Please pay your registration fee via Paypal.
- Artists may only enter once, and may enter no more than three images.
- Submissions are accepted by email only and must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All images must be submitted in digital jpeg format. Each image must be 72 dpi, sized between 1024 and 1280 pixels on its longest side, and must not exceed 2 megabytes.
- Images must be labeled with entrants last name, first name, image number, and title (ex: Smith_John_1_Sunrise_Lake_Hopatcong).
- Submission must include the following information in the body of the email: entrant’s name, email address, physical address and phone number, followed by a caption list that corresponds with the numbered images. Caption list must also include outside/framed dimensions of each piece, medium, and additional info if necessary.
- If offered for sale, the price for each piece must also be included.
- Entrants must include a copy of their Paypal receipt with their submission.
- Finally, a brief statement (one or two sentences) explaining how the work relates to the New Jersey Highlands–location, subject, etc–should be included if not stated in the caption.
Please call Dwight Hiscano at (908) 273-5666 or email via email@example.com with any questions.