10 Reasons Not To Miss the Highlands Festival at Waterloo
The Highlands Festival at Waterloo represents something truly unique here in New Jersey: a celebration of not only the work environmentalists are doing here but also the amazing talent of our region’s musicians, artisans, chefs and creative people.
Historic Waterloo Village will be alive with activity again and transformed into a community gathering that has something for everyone. Here are just a few reasons why you should come:
- Historic District of Waterloo Village: Take a stroll with knowledgeable guides who will showcase the Morris Canal and the village’s historic buildings. You can visit the working Grist Mill, see a blacksmith at work, tour the quaint 150-year old Waterloo United Methodist Church and learn about the inclined plane on the canal that was an engineering innovation in its time. Walking tours will give a fascinating overview of the area’s history.
- Waterloo Concert Field: If you love live music, this is THE place to be! We have nonstop music over two days. Added in 2015: the Highlands Festival expanded to the historic Waterloo Concert Field. Many performers have graced the stage in the field in the past, and now many more have the opportunity to enliven the field with music again!
- Winakung: The recreated Lenape Village, will be open with guides showing how our ancestors on this land lived hundreds of years ago. Many of us have visited there on school trips; here’s your chance to see it with your whole family.
- Activities Galore: Camping, nature walks, kayaking, animal demos, workshops, the children’s corner, and much more will keep you busy in between those music performances on the main stage!
- H2O: What the Highlands region is all about! Don’t forget your reusable water bottle. In keeping with our environmental mission, no disposable bottles of water will be sold at the festival. We will have a water tank, courtesy of NJ American Water, at which you can refill your water bottle FREE all day!
- Beer Garden: There will be local craft beers for sale, as well as local wine. The burgeoning craft beer industry here in New Jersey depends on Highlands water and we will have some of the best local craft beers at the festival.
- Jersey Fresh: Our Local Food Court and Farmers Market will have delicious food and desserts.
- Zero Waste: This is a “zero waste” event and we will have stations where you can sort your trash into compost, recyclables and trash. Our goal is to minimize what we put into the landfill, so you’ll find volunteers who can help you sort your lunch leftovers into the appropriate bins.
- Shopping: You’ll definitely want to take home some items from our Living Green, Arts & Crafts, Fair Trade and Cause Crusaders booths!
- New Jersey Highlands: Most important of all, the Highlands Festival at Waterloo is a celebration of the New Jersey Highlands, a region that supplies much of the fresh, clean drinking water for New Jersey. It is also raising funds for the NJ Highlands Coalition’s Small Grants Program, which helps small nonprofits do their important grassroots work in our communities.